Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO)
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) is a program that allows 10th-, 11th- and 12th-grade students to earn both high school and college credit while still in high school, through enrollment in and successful completion of college nonsectarian courses at eligible participating postsecondary institutions. Most PSEO courses are offered on the campus of the postsecondary institution; some courses are offered online. Each participating college or university sets its own requirements for enrollment into the PSEO courses. Eleventh and 12th-grade students may take PSEO courses on a full- or part-time basis; 10th graders may initially take one Career and Technical Education (CTE) PSEO course. If 10th graders taking a CTE PSEO course earn at least a grade C in that class, they may take additional CTE PSEO courses. Students must meet the PSEO residency and eligibility requirements and abide by participation limits specified in Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.09. If a school district determines a pupil is not on track to graduate, she/he may continue to participate in PSEO.
There is no charge to PSEO students for tuition, books or fees for items that are required to participate in a course. Enrolling in a PSEO course does not prohibit a student from participating in activities sponsored by the high school. Funds are available to help pay transportation expenses for qualifying students to participate in PSEO courses on college campuses.
School districts must allow a PSEO student reasonable access to the high school building, computers and/or other technology resources during regular school hours to participate in PSEO courses, whether on-line or on campus.
Each year, districts must publish their grade-weighting policy on their website, including a list of courses for which students can earn weighted grades.
By March 1 of each year, schools must provide PSEO information to all students in grades 8-11 and their families. To assist the district in planning, students must notify their school by May 30 if they want to participate in PSEO for the following school year.
For current information about the PSEO program, visit the Minnesota Department of Education’s Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) webpage.
Students will apply online and complete the following:
- Visit www.rctc.edu and begin the PSEO Application Process online.
- Set up a meeting with your High School Counselor.
- Return the following forms at your meeting:
- High School Counselor will submit the forms along with your high school transcript
- The college will review your application and contact you regarding your acceptance
- After acceptance or denial, this will follow the post-secondary school’s expectations.
- Communicate with PSEO Counselor and High School Counselor on your course selections.
- Issues and or scheduling changes should be communicated to the guidance office at all times.